Depending on the origin of the nectar used in the production of honey, we can find numerous varieties of different honeys. Thus, we find orange blossom, rosemary, eucalyptus, acacia honey, etc. Likewise, each of them has different properties and benefits; as well as with its own flavor and texture.
Here we show you everything you need to know about the orange blosson honey, a honey with a very intense aroma and that has many properties and benefits.
Characteristics of orange blossom honey
This honey is made mainly from the nectar of citrus trees such as orange and lemon. It is a very aromatic and smooth honey, with a high citric component that gives it great character. We can also find it as orange, grapefruit, mandarin, clementine or lemon honey.
When extracted, this honey is light amber in color, although as it crystallizes, its color lightens until it is yellowish-white. For its part, its aroma is smooth and characteristic, with an acid aftertaste that gives it balance.
Properties of orange blossom honey
This honey has multiple specific properties, which differentiate it from other kind of honeys. Specifically, it is rich in methyl anthranilate, a unique component of orange blossom, which gives honey a unique flavor and aroma.
Also, this tasty liquid is a great source of energy, as it is rich in minerals such as potassium, fructose or glucose, which favor its use many times as a natural substitute for sugar.
Benefits of orange blossom honey
Thanks to its antiseptic properties, orange blossom honey helps to strengthen the immune system.
- Natural tranquilizer: Its consumption is recommended in nervous people, since among the benefits of this honey, its sedative effects stand out. For this reason, it is often used in situations of stress or anxiety.
- Great antioxidant effect: Through the consumption of orange blossom honey, we help protect our body against free radical damage. Likewise, its regular use contributes to reducing the risk of suffering from chronic diseases.
- Prevents colds: A glass of milk with a teaspoon of orange blossom honey helps fight coughs, prevent colds and soothe sore throats.
- Heal wounds and burns: thanks to its antimicrobial and antiseptic properties, it is used directly on wounds and burns to promote their healing.
- Protects delicate stomachs: The truth is that it is a natural antispasmodic that does not irritate the mucous membranes of the stomach.
- Acts against cramps: Orange blossom honey can be used after an exercise routine to relax tense muscles.
- Promotes sleep: It is recommended to take two tablespoons of orange blossom honey before sleeping to promote sleep.
Where is it produced?
The production of this honey is very abundant in Spain; where it predominates mainly in Mediterranean regions with an abundance of citrus trees, such as orange or lemon.
The production season occurs mainly in spring, since it is when the flowers bloom and the bees suck their nectar.
However, it is true that there are certain regions where a second flowering occurs in autumn, between the months of September and October; although generally the spring flowering has a greater thickness.
The orange blossom
The orange blossom is the flower of some fruit trees, such as the orange tree, the lemon tree or the mandarin tree. It is a very striking white flower, which has an intense and pleasant aroma.
In addition, depending on its origin, we can find sweet or bitter orange blossom flowers. Thus, the sweet variety can be found in many parts of Spain, China or Pakistan.
It may also interest you: